Friday, March 14, 2008

A Lenten Reflection

Friday, March 14, 2008 by Dawn B

On Ash Wednesday, we had a service with the imposition of ashes. Althea hung out in the nursery with her good friend Karin. After the service, she found mommy and was very puzzled about the "someting on you," pointing at the ashes on my forehead. I explained that they were ashes. She grew thoughtful as only a two-year-old can do. She noticed that many people had "someting" on their foreheads.
"Ashes," I repeated to her.
While I held her, I imposed ashes onto the foreheads of a few people who had been serving during the service, including her buddy Karin. She watched it all in an uncharacteristically still and silent mode.
Then, she hesitantly reached towards the ashen cross on my forehead.
"You can touch the ashes. It's o.k."
"Ashes," she repeated.
Then, she made a connection in her mind, and with a very serious look, said to me, "Ashes, ashes, we all fall down."
Indeed.

<< Home